Sunday, November 2, 2008

November 2 (Vocational Philosophy)

This is where my mind and heart are right now.

Begin quote.

"The basics of financial literacy, that "there is a difference between being broke and being poor. That being broke is a temporary economic condition, but being poor is a disabling frame of mind and a depressed condition of your spirit, and you must vow to never, ever be poor again."

We have learned that real wealth lies in the head, heart and spirit, and not just in one's pocket. That having dignity is real wealth, too.

We have learned over the years that individuals should be viewed not so much as low-income but rather low-wealth. That the issue at hand is less about making more money, and more about making better decisions with the money you make.

We have learned over the years that (general) education is the ultimate poverty eradication tool, and that when you know better you tend to do better, and further, there is no more effective communicator of the power and relevancy of education than a role model and mentor in that classroom, talking directly to those kids.

We have learned what every parent already knows; that you cannot raise your children by email, so we cannot reasonably expect to teach historically ignored and under-served low-wealth communities with websites alone, even if they have high speed connections and T1 lines. In other words, curriculum is fine, and conferences are fine, and websites and brochures are fine, and business meetings uptown are fine, but at the end of the day you have to "show up" in people's lives --- if you ever expect to see any real change in their lives. - John Hope Bryant

End quote.

That is specifically regarding financial literacy. Obviously life has a multitude of converging needs and obstacles so we have to look at situations holistically.

Like I've said before, I'm interested in "asset based community development." Or "asset based individual development." Getting people to list what they already have: individually; in the community; geographically; the opportunities for education, for work, for food, for shelter, for advancement; etc.. Working with folks to acknowledge these Things You Have, and putting them together to work for the individual's or the common good. Many times we have everything we need in front of us (or it is easily within grasp, or someone else is willing to share it with us, or it is already provided by an organization and we don't know about it yet), and we need to take a moment to re-align (previously thought unrelated) parts together. When you do, many time things "click" (that's the fastest I can explain it in a blog). And then shelter/housing is provided. Or a new community building brings a community together. Or real education enables a person to provide for their family in a job that pays a livable wage. Or a person learns how to manage the money they have - not a lot is needed if spent prudently. I don't know how else to explain it (The Alchemist anyone?).

It is not philosophical though. It's practical. If you look at what you have or can get relatively easily, much of what is needed can be acquired - without putting a person in a harmful or limiting situation (e.g. taking out a lot of debt, etc.). This is opposed to listing what you wish you had (or need) and then researching how someone else got it. That way is frequently frustrating, expensive, and not sustainable. (Not saying you shouldn't learn about best/worst practices. No need to reinvent the wheel!) However, thinking inside the box often ignores the value and tools the people around the table bring. When I say people, I also mean local/regional governments, companies, families, educational agencies, religious institutions...development of any group of citizens, I don't care how they are organized or labeled. Of course, you have to remember that humans are rarely rational or reasonable creatures. That's what makes every day so, um, interesting and different.

I wanted to post this in case I get off track or forget. This is part of my vocational philosophy. To be certain, the non-profits and organizations I have canvassed are necessary and extremely important. Collaboration is necessary. Efficient and effective use of resources is a goal for us all. It is perhaps often overlooked that the person you are assisting is a resource too (the foundational resource).

I'd like to be somewhere in the middle of policy and grassroots: aware of how to influence policy so I can assist with systematic change, however not getting too far away from the situation or people for whom I am working; grassroots so I stay close to reality and make direct contributions while not getting too close to become myopic or jaded.

I'm still looking for this job. Or a job that will lead to this job. I believe I am on the right track. It is exciting in any case.

No comments: