Thursday, January 21, 2010

January 21

My sister said I should journal (on this blog) about my experience as a small business owner.

I know I've skipped a lot since the 4th quarter update. Email me and I'll tell you all about it.


January 21

Running a small business makes life hilarious.

Getting new business; negotiating new business; negotiating rates; performing the actual business services; invoicing; emailing invoices; putting money into a bank account; marketing; keeping the business legal - this is all done by a singular person (me).

Hello!!

I am not good at everything at the same time!

I know I am pointing out the obvious. It can get overwhelming.
But then I remember that life is full of simple joy.
Each day I do as much as I can, the best I can, and I confidently walk forward. I don't dwell on the myriad of mistakes that I make. Instead, I laugh. I stop working when it's not work time. Balance. Noting small successes. Learning from mistakes.
To be certain, I am not so concerned with the ending as I am with approaching every situation with integrity, virtue, and joy. It is a great learning adventure. I am very blessed.

Today.

I met with my two elderly clients (separately). I love working with them. It is very worthwhile to see tangible and real effects. It is nice to work on the finances of life and not business.
Then, with another (business) client, we had our 2009 financial meeting. That was fun because we were talking about strategy - what information is needed, how it is reflected, how it can best be maintained. We also starting forecasting for 2010 - how I love budgeting!
I am also helping a friend with his budgeting. He lets me know when he spends outside his budget forecast (or under). It is always exciting to work with people to meet their life goals.

January is very busy. I don't have a free half hour. I eat lunch in ten minutes as I'm driving to my next client. I am working this weekend. It's tax season, end-of-year season, budgeting and license renewal season so I'll be overwhelmed for a while but it will most likely slow down after first quarter.

Unending thanks to my phenomenal support group who listens with utmost patience to my small successes and failures.

No comments: