I've felt so behind with this blog, I haven't wanted to update it.
But, a lot has been going on since first quarter.
To sum it up, I've started by own business. It has been a slow process requiring large amounts of patience to get myself to stop thinking of my passions as hobbies and instead think of them as work opportunities.
I have started a company -- unimaginatively named Kozak Consulting -- that performs Quickbooks Training, Bookkeeping Services, Small Business Development, and Financial Literacy Seminars. On a case-by-case basis, I also assist individuals (primarily the elderly) with their financial needs.
Sound like too many services for one girl running one company? Yes, I know it is. But I can't decide which I like the best! Honestly, my favorite is the Quickbooks Training for small business entrepreneurs. These are folks that don't have enough money (or work) to hire a full-time accountant (yet). They need to do it themselves at this point. They don't have enough time in the day to start a company, but they need to learn Quickbooks and professionally set up their lists of accounts and processes for accounts payable, account receivable, invoicing, and reconciliation. Enter Maica Kozak. Sound exciting?! IT IS! I love it. It is the best part of any week. Typically it takes about two sessions that last about four hours each. The clients are encouraged to retain me in case of any further questions, and quarterly reconciliation.
I also really love teaching small business development. I have an eight or twelve session course. We start the class thinking we are going to write a boring Business Plan, as if we were in school and doing meaningless assignments. However, each week is filled with such excitement: learning about competitors, feeling confident about products and service prices, examining trends in the industry, writing marketing copy, etc. The finished product is confidence; knowledge; empowerment; and concrete written text for getting investments or building a website.
Have I mentioned that every week I look forward to working with my elderly client? I meet her each week. That is crazy fun. We feel like we've accomplished a lot every time I leave.
I also taught the six-part financial literacy course at RRISA. Every four weeks a new group of woman would arrive, speaking another language. It was interesting to learn the different roles the women played in their homes countries. It's also very helpful to learn how to teach financial literacy to folks that don't know our language or our customs. In all honesty, we should teach Americans the same way we teach these refugees. At least most of them have basic understanding of budgeting and frugality, they simply need work and an understanding of our language and customs. Many Americans have never thought of budgeting or the importance of positive net worth.
Well, I have to go. I have business cards (free from www.PrintResponsibly.com) and a website (www.kozakconsulting.com).
Have a most lovely day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment