Friday, October 17, 2008

October 17

Sat in on a public hearing at the NY City Hall. This one had to do with economic development, affordable housing, gentrification, and quasi-environmental concerns. Hearing the politics in the questioning and answering was interesting. There are politics in every business venture, but the public is not usually invited to attend and watch.

And then I went to a meeting/banquet at the United Nations. I sat in Trinidad and Tobago's seat. Did you know that Iran and Iraq sit next to one another (alphabet)? Some portions were in French and Spanish so I had to wear the translator earpiece.

There was a stack of prepared speeches from a previous UN meeting lying on my table from different embassies: Kuwait, Colombia, New Zealand, Tonga, Cuba, etc. on varying topics like "Decolonization: Independence of Colonies", "The Friendly Use of Outer Space", etc.. I hope it wasn't classified because I perused them! Very interesting to read their reports and the stances of their countries.

No comments: