Thursday, September 4, 2008

To Begin...

It certainly is not the beginning...

...but I have been asked to keep a blog of my Atlanta canvass and ensuing sabbatical. I think it will keep me on-task.

The canvass plan, if one can plan such things, is to discover the services that are available in a city. I would like to catalogue them in my head. Thus, I plan to perform a canvass of Atlanta. I would like to know the location of services and organizations, what their facilities are like, what they do, how they do it, how they are siloed from one another or work together. I would like to know this as a "resource coordinator" piece. So, perhaps, if someone mentions to me something I might say "Oh, this is available for you, you should check it out." In any case, I'd just like to know what's already out there. This blog should help map out that investigation.

I would also like to speak with people about what they do during their days in these magical jobs that I did not learn about in school: Folks that are not doctors, lawyers, firemen, etc.. Jobs that seem made up to me - made up because there is a need.

I want to know if the job description I have in my head is a real job. I want to know if I am idealizing the world too much. I'd like to find out what further education I need. I'd like to meet people who do what I'd like to do. I'd like to simply take stock of my life and decide where I am going, or at least where I am.

After the two-week canvass I hope to take a half-week retreat to think and be quiet.

I believe that since I have this opportunity I might as well take it. Not everyone has this opportunity. Not everyone needs such a break. For me, it is a pause. Each person works and grows and lives in different ways. I hope you all are able to live simply and joyfully in your own lives. I am embarrassed that you are reading about mine: I certainly am not one to give any advice or instruction and never intend to. I hope you have a lovely, beautiful day. much love, m

No comments: