Hello all. I apologize that I stopped updating my blog. My computer is broken so I have sporadic and brief moments on computers. I only do what is necessary.
Right now I am exploring the depths of CPAs and micro-lending/finance specifically. I am concentrating on small business entrepreneurs over individuals. I am interested in understanding what makes up sound business plans, how they are (or are not) executed, and the issues facing entrepreneurs. I like finances, but not stocks/bonds/insurance, and especially not sales.
As my end goal is to be useful in financial literacy, I believe gaining "industry experience" is key. This way, I can be most helpful to folks trying to work the system. I will understand the intricacies and know people in the field. I will have concrete knowledge and skills to offer instead of just a kind heart.
I've spoken with folks who work in:
- Insurance
- Accounting
- Micro-finance
- DeKalb County Community Development
- Financial Literacy on college campuses
- Financial Literacy Masters programs
- FDIC, Community Affairs
- Wealth Management
- CPA - Auditing
- Credit Union economic development
- not an exhaustive list
Vetting the different fields to see where I fit.
Also, I assisted a small business owner. I taught her how to use Quickbooks and then set up her three small businesses on Quickbooks, creating lists of accounts and helping her with her AP/AR/Invoicing processes. She paid me, is retaining me for future needs, and also referred me.
I loved doing that and -- passionately, secretly -- wish I could do many, many more.
I am teaching the financial literacy course at the Refugee Resettlement agency (RRISA) in Decatur. I have worked with groups from Nepal, the Republic of Congo, Sudan, Iraq, and Burma. We do everything from monthly budgeting and savings to smart shopping and introduction to banking (signing them up for bank accounts).
This sabbatical has been incredibly joyful and informative. I have gained worthwhile courage and character. I have learned invaluable things from doing many things right and some things wrong. I believe I have more specific direction, and what I've experienced first-hand as proof. Hopefully I can begin to put myself to even better use soon.
On a separate note, I have been cooking up a storm and surprising even myself by how incredibly good it is. Food for large groups of people - Indian, Vietnamese, soups, breads, seasonal delights, crazy Kozak concoctions. Intense caving trips also. All this is in preparation, of course, for my ultimate goal of owning a cute mountain B&B.
Again, unending thanks and gratitude to everyone who has been a part of my sabbatical. I cannot say it enough, but I think it every day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment